Volga-Dnepr Airlines resumes business with charter brokers

Volga-Dnepr Airlines (VDA) has backtracked on its controversial decision in September to stop working with charter brokers. A sign the company is hoping to attract more business in what is proving a difficult year.  It has also been offering customers improved terms on charters, such as no cancellation fees, as well as

Mammoet and ALE in takeover talks

Leading international heavy lift and transport specialists Mammoet and ALE are in takeover talks. Netherlands-based Mammoet has confirmed it is negotiating with UK-headquartered ALE in a bid to acquire it. A joint statement from the two companies is as follows: “Today, Mammoet Holding B.V. and ALE Heavylift have

Transforming Aberdeen into Europe’s energy port

With an eye on catering to growing renewable energy and decommissioning markets, the port of Aberdeen has undertaken the largest marine infrastructure project in the UK A transformation is underway at the Port of Aberdeen. Often called the “Oil Capital of Europe”, the Port of Aberdeen has long

AAL launches Europe-Far East MPP heavylift service

Heavylift company AAL has introduced a new regular Europe-Far East multipurpose service with its 19,000-dwt S-Class heavylift vessels. The new service will offer regular sailings and flexible port calls between Northern Europe’s ARA range and the Baltic region, Middle East, Southeast Asia and over to the Far East. In addition

One Dead in LPG Tanker Explosion

One crew member has been reported deceased while fifteen more were seriously injured in an LNG tanker explosion at the port of Aliaga, Turkey. At the time of the incident, the Italy-flagged tanker Syn Zania was anchored at the Petkim petrochemical plant operated by the Azerbaijani state oil company SOCAR, media

Ex Hansa duo to lead LOC Hamburg

Marine and engineering consultancy LOC has opened an office in Hamburg as it aims to develop its renewable and shipping services in Europe.  The office is to be led by Christoph Ruck and Emek Ersin Takmaz, both former Hansa Heavy Lift employees.  Christoph Ruck is a naval architect and welding

Kurt Skov hands over Blue Water

Blue Water Shipping founder Kurt Skov has transferred a large part of his shares in the company to his daughter Anne Skov, as he prepares to hand over the company to the next generation. Kurt Skov owns 25% of the company. The other 75% was transferred to the

Brexit wipes out 30% of UK Flag

Data shows that while the threat of a Brexit-fuelled exodus from the UK flag has been looming for some time, several major shipowners have quietly been making good on their threats to pull tonnage in the face of the financial and political uncertainties CMA CGM reflagged 40 vessels away from